Call For Your Free Initial Consultation

Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have modified our operations and expanded our options for remote consultations. While our office is presently closed to foot traffic, our husband-and-wife legal team remains available 24/7 to meet with new or existing clients using telephone, email and video conferencing apps like Zoom, Skype and FaceTime. Please call our office to discuss whether a full phone consultation or video conference is appropriate for your situation.


Accessible, Personalized

What if my child suffered a birth injury in 2020?

The last year has put significant strain on health care providers and hospitals. The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has been difficult for parents too, especially those who faced welcoming a new baby during a global health crisis. Expecting parents faced a lot of uncertainty. How would they handle their child’s birth and protect themselves and their newborn from getting COVID-19?

Then, some of those new parents faced another concern: that their child suffered a birth injury. For every 1,000 births in the United States, about six infants are born with a birth injury. A birth injury is different from a birth defect. A birth injury is the result of a traumatic birth.

Common birth injuries

Some of the most common birth injuries are:

  • broken bones (such as the collarbone)
  • brain injuries (such as cerebral palsy)
  • nerve injuries in the neck and shoulder

Some birth injuries, such as brain damage due to lack of oxygen or cerebral palsy, have life-long effects.

Birth injuries and negligent care

If your child was born with a birth injury in 2020, the injury may have occurred because of improper medical care. A doctor’s mistake during birth or improper monitoring may have led your child’s birth injuries. A doctor could have failed to perform a C-section promptly and your child suffered a birth injury as a result. A doctor could have failed to recognize your child had their umbilical cord wrapped around their neck, leading to oxygen deprivation during delivery.

You should consult a personal injury attorney if you believe your child’s birth injury was the result of negligent care. You may need to file a medical malpractice lawsuit to recover costs associated with your child’s care.

Holding a medical provider responsible for their mistakes is important. You can help protect other patients and ensure your family receives compensation for the birth injury your child suffered.



FindLaw Network